• Sun. May 19th, 2024

Highlighting the Accomplishments of Agriculture and Art at Sinclair

Employment in agriculture related fields is projected to increase by at least 37% within the next ten years, making now a perfect opportunity to make a real impact in the food industry and environment by studying agriculture at Sinclair.

To shed light on the agriculture department, Sinclair offers numerous certificates in Agribusiness Greenhouse Management, Agricultural Technology, and Urban and Community Agriculture, as well as associates in Agricultural Sciences and Horticulture Technician. This summer, the department is working on expanding those options.

Dr. Dawn Allen, assistant dean of the department, explained that agriculture is not just “cows and crops” but encompasses many different fields, similarly to how culinary is not just cooking, but also touches on hospitality, tourism, and much more.

Among the plethora of amazing things that this department is doing, they also have a course where students work and learn at a food bank. What makes this a unique opportunity is that they get to see the real-world impact of what they are learning. Additionally, what they grow does not go to waste, but rather, goes back to the community.

Additionally, there are agriculture-based courses offered to prisoners in Lancaster, OH. For Dr. Allen, this was a very proud accomplishment for the department.

“These people will be coming out of the prison system eventually. It is important that they come out with a purpose and confidence that they have a skill as opposed to coming out with no purpose,” she said.

These are just a few of the many ways that the agriculture department is expanding its outreach and making an important impact in the community from right here at Sinclair.

Next, in the art department at Sinclair, be sure to watch out for upcoming exhibitions.

Amanda Darrah, Sinclair’s galleries coordinator, explained that this fall there will be a faculty exhibition from Aug. 12 to Sept. 9. This exhibition will highlight the works of faculty and adjunct faculty.

“We host professional exhibitions throughout the year. We also added three pieces of student artwork to Sinclair’s collection from this past student juried show,” Darrah said.

Additionally, Professor Kay Koeninger, a professor of art history, wanted to spotlight the work of some of her students this semester.

“This semester a team of students (Chris Butler, Jamie Doty, Brenna Duncan, and Kali Hofacker) in ART 2230: The History of Ancient-Medieval Art monitored the condition of St. Sophia Cathedral in Kyiv, Ukraine, for a presentation on Early Christian and Byzantine art. St. Sophia is the most important Orthodox Christian Church in Ukraine and one of the most important historical buildings in the country as well. It is under increasing risk due to the continuing Russian invasion,” Professor Koeninger said.

Another accomplishment in the art department relates to the work of Professor Koeninger.

She explained, “I recently published a review of the current nationwide touring exhibition ‘The Triumph of Nature: Art Nouveau from the Chrysler Museum of Art’ in ‘Antiques and the Arts Weekly.’ This exhibition will be on view at the Dayton Art Institute in 2025. My next review will focus on ‘Mary Cassatt at Work,’ upcoming at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.”

There is so much going on in all of the departments at Sinclair, from expanding to accomplishing impressive goals. The agriculture department and art department are just two of many examples of all the hard work that is pouring out of students and faculty here at Sinclair.

Macey Heys, Managing Editor