• Wed. May 15th, 2024

In response to the feedback I’ve received, I feel compelled to address some of the concerns about my article “Islamahomophobia” in the last edition.

My goal as Editor was simply to chronicle the student voices as genuinely and honestly as I could before the election concluded.

My piece was an expression of the conflicting feelings that many students on campus share.

I am thankful for all the feedback I have received. I can genuinely say I have learned something about journalism from both the positive reception and the concerned dissent. The value from these conversations cannot be understated.

That is the purpose of every article published here. I made many errors in how I conveyed my ideas in my article. However, precisely because I made them I can learn from them.

I am overjoyed as Editor to provide this dialogue for all perspectives. Everyone has an avenue to pursue their educational goals and personal growth as students at the Clarion.

However, in that same vein I do find a few aspects of this experience troubling. I feel that as a campus we require a student press that is free to express opinions—even when it gets uncomfortable.

Many students are not comfortable putting their voices out on campus, already. I want to believe that we, as a college, are not satisfied with that.

For anyone inquiring about the specifics in my piece who would like to have a constructive discussion or present their own voices: the Clarion Office is in Building 6 Room 314.

Barton Kleen
Executive Editor

Print