• Sun. Apr 28th, 2024

Travel Expert Rick Steves Hosts an Evening at the Centerville Sinclair Campus

Perhaps you’re avidly familiar with Rick Steves’ PBS series or maybe you’ve happened to stumble upon him while channel surfing. For those who don’t know, Rick Steves is considered quite the travel expert with over 50 guidebooks and over 150 episodes of his show, Rick Steves’ Europe. On Nov. 29, 2023, the Clarion was lucky enough to hear him speak on European Travel Skills for 2024.

It had been 15 years since Rick Steves visited South West Ohio. Photo Credit: Macey Heys

When it comes to planning a trip to Europe, Steves highlighted the importance of not falling into tourist traps. That doesn’t mean to avoid the most popular “touristy” spots like the Eiffel Tower in Paris or the Colosseum in Rome, but rather, search for the non advertised, authentic, local restaurants, lodgings, and activities.

He called this the “backdoors,” explaining that trips are more memorable when you “find places where you are not a part of the economy, but part of the party.”

Among a sprinkling of historical facts and speaking of the views of Scotland as if he was standing there instead of in Sinclair’s auditorium, Steves offered words of wisdom on why traveling, learning, and art are so vital: they all help to avoid a dumbed-down society and they inspire critical thinking.

In addition to his public television presence, on his website, viewers can access his talks about different European countries, as well as multiple other resources. Photo Credit: Macey Heys

The next topic that Rick Steves hit on was packing for trips. He stressed the importance of packing light, suggesting only a small suitcase and a small backpack. After all, you never know if you’ll be wheeling your belongings through a busy street or trying to haul it onto the métro during rush hour. So pack light, and you save yourself a lot of trouble, plus, you can always purchase anything you may need when you reach your destination.

In terms of transportation, Steves recommended familiarizing yourself and getting comfortable with public transit. Europe has some of the best public transportation in the world, from high speed trains to métros to buses. Similarly, Europe is well known for its safe, walkable cities. If you’re traveling across a country, Steves explained that it can be fun to turn it into a road trip and rent a car. Finally, he pointed out that domestic flight is surprisingly cheap in Europe.

Lastly, Rick Steves spoke on eating and sleeping arrangements. Signs of authentic restaurants are a small handwritten menu that is in one language. If the menu is in English, he explained, then it is geared towards tourists; thus, you may not be getting the true experience. Also, don’t neglect grocery shopping and local markets. 

In terms of sleeping, Steves recommended taking safety into account when it comes to location, but that you shouldn’t spend too much money to be comfortable. For example, instead of heading straight for the predictable American hotel chain, find a family run Bed and Breakfast.

“It’s a whole new experience if you can be rough and casual,” he said.

In 2022, Steves released a new PBS series called Art of Europe. To accompany, he has a book of Europe’s Top 100 Masterpieces, which contains short essays on the context of each of his favorite works of art. Photo Credit: Macey Heys

Overall, along with Rick Steves’ warm, humorous, and sincere personality, his informative and entertaining presentation made travelers excited for all of the exciting adventures that 2024 has to offer. 

Macey Heys, Managing Editor