Nine people are dead and another 26 are injured, in what is being referred to as a mass shooting in downtown Dayton. The incident taking place just 13 hours after a shooting in El Paso, Texas that claimed 20.
Of the nine victims, one was believed to be the shooter’s sister, according to the Dayton police. There were five men and four women among the deceased:
Lois Olglesby, black female, 27.
Megan Betts, white female, 22. Identified as the sister of the convicted shooter, Connor Betts.
Saheed Saleh, black male, 38.
Derrick Fudge, black male, 57.
Logan Turner, white male, 30.
Nicholas Cumer, white male, 25.
Thomas McNichols, black male, 25.
Beatrice Warren Curtis, black female, 36.
Monica Brickhouse, black female, 39.
Police arrived in less than a minute, according to Mayor Nan Whaley, in a press conference delivered early this morning.
The shooting took place outside the Ned Peppers bar, in the popular Oregon District, at the converse of 5th Street and Wayne Avenue.
The suspect who was shot and killed is, 24 year old, Connor Betts, of Bellbrook, Ohio, according to a report by Dayton Daily News released at 11:30 am this morning.
Dayton Deputy Director and Assistant Chief of the Police Lt. Col. Matt Carper told reporters early Sunday morning that the suspect used a “long gun” with multiple rounds.
Mayor Nan Whaley described the weapon, as a “223 caliber rifle.” Betts was also said to have worn body armor and was carrying multiple rounds of ammunition.
She went on to refer to it as a “very large gun,” but no details on the make or model were provided at this time.
It is believed at this time that the suspect acted alone and that there is no continued threat to the community, but the investigation is ongoing said Carper.
“As bad as this is, it could have been much, much worse, as I think everyone will become aware of here as more information unfolds,” Carper said.
“There was a very short timeline of violence,” Carper said, adding, “We’re very fortunate for we that. We had officers in the immediate vicinity when this shooting began and were able to respond and put an end to it quickly.”
Carper also added that the Dayton Convention Center, which is just a few blocks from where the shooting took place, is open for those who might be looking for loved ones who were disconnected during the shooting.
A man who identified himself as “Jeff,” who is a bouncer at one of the neighboring bars, according to a report by the Dayton Daily News said that he was 20 feet away from the gunman and that he saw the muzzle flashes.
“He damaged our city,” said Jeff.
In a post on Facebook, a man named James Williams, who claimed to be at Ned Peppers said in a public post:
“Sad. People are not right. I’m safe. Happened right in front of the patio where I was sitting in front of Neds. The guy in front of Ned Peppers’ door is the active shooter.
“He tried to go into the bar but did not make it through the door. Someone took the gun from him and he got shot and is dead.
“There are at least eight people dead right by the picnic table where I was on the street. A bunch of people taken to the hospital. I don’t know how many. This place is a disaster.”
This shooting is the 251 shooting in the U.S. in 216 days thus far this year, according to USA Today.
Chris Baker, former Bellbrook High School principal, who retired after 14 years said that Betts had been suspended for causing a lock-down after writing a “hit-list” on a bathroom wall.
A vigil will be held tonight at 8 pm in the Oregon District, free parking in Transportation Center Garage.
The Dayton Police are asking that if anybody who was there and witnessed the shooting and could help with the investigation in any way to please call: 937-225-6217