• Wed. May 1st, 2024

Cuisine Chronicles with The Clarion: A Taste of the Tartan Marketplace

How many times a day do you find yourself thinking, “I’m hungry!”? The thought crosses my mind a handful of times. Well, no matter how often you find yourself craving a bite to eat, Sinclair has you covered. There are several options at the Dayton campus to satisfy your cravings. The main campus has:

• Tartan Marketplace
  • Sinclair Coffee
  • Snack Shoppe
  • Student Food Pantry/Lunchtime Hunger
  • Tartan Terrace

Between these options there is something to satisfy every appetite and budget. Let me highlight a couple of these options for you.

The Tartan Marketplace, the campus’s “dining hall,”  provides food options for less than $10 each. Located in the basement of Building 7, the Tartan Marketplace is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm. 
I visited the Fireside Grill and got a made-to-order Philly cheesesteak and sweet potato fries for just $9.08. The price and taste did not disappoint. My Philly cheesesteak was well seasoned, and the hoagie was nicely toasted. The sweet potato fries were crispy on the outside while soft and sweet on the inside. If you want to be a little adventurous, try adding mayonnaise to your sandwich and dipping your sweet potato fries in bbq sauce.

Don’t fret though if that doesn’t sound appealing to you, there are plenty of options at the Tartan Marketplace. The Fireside Grill alone also has made-to-order burgers, quesadillas, chicken tenders, regular fries, shoestring fries, and breakfast options (until 10:30 a.m.). 

There is also a build-you-own salad bar, a self-serve pizza station called Italian Oven and the Green Pickle Deli which has artisan sandwiches. So, if you find yourself hungry while on the main campus and have a few extra bucks to spend, you should stop by the Tartan Marketplace.

If your funds are limited, Sinclair has you covered. Located in Building 13 Room 426 is the Student Food Pantry and Lunchtime Hunger Program. All active students are eligible to “shop” the free food pantry twice a month, open Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-4:30 p.m. 

The Lunchtime Hunger Program provides a free lunch to all active students Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. I have utilized the Lunchtime Hunger Program, so don’t let pride get in the way of using the resources available to you. I enjoyed the black bean and rice meal I selected, plus, the cherry C4 energy drink and Rice Krispy Treat were a nice bonus.

The Food Pantry is located in Building 13 Room 426

These are just two of the food service options available on the main campus. So, hopefully the next time the thought of feeling hungry crosses your mind, you’ll know you have plenty of options.

Words and Photos by April Littleton, Reporter